Author Topic: Light meter for elinchrom FX 400 Ri  (Read 972 times)

Offline fotix

• I love JJMPF
Light meter for elinchrom FX 400 Ri
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
I looking to buy a light meter that is compatible with my elinchrom FX 400 RI. Any recommendations ?

Offline Chinmoy

• Regular
Re: Light meter for elinchrom FX 400 Ri
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
I'm not great at studio lights ... but whatever little I have learnt ... light meters need not really be "compatible" with the actual light ... they just measure the amount of incident/reflected light falling on (of reflected off) the subject.

I've used Sekonic while learning and it works pretty well. Though I'd warn you that it's not cheap. As far as I know, the cheapest Sekonic is about 12-15K (I may be wrong), but that's what I heard from the guy who owned the Sekonic.

HTH.
Always learning !

avisc

Re: Light meter for elinchrom FX 400 Ri
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »
I looking to buy a light meter that is compatible with my elinchrom FX 400 RI. Any recommendations ?

As pointed by Chinmoy, you can use any light meter with any light (as long as the meter is capable of measuring flash exposure)... they are connected only by a PC/Sync cord (or attach any wireless trigger to it) to trigger the light for measurement.

There are some lights come with built in Pocketwizard receivers and Sekonic meter with built in pocketwizard triggers! But insanely expensive and not that much a value (to me at least!)

In case of FX Ri, the lights has built in receivers - I believe, you can use a Elinchrom Eco/Speed/Universal triggers to trigger the light OR the PC cable.

:) Since we are on topic, i assume you have the FX Ri... i am looking to buy BXRi series in bangalore... any idea of availability & price? ..and I dont see whats the difference between FXRi and BXRi ??? OR is it just a different label for indian market? anyone has some knowhow?

-Avi